Monday, January 24, 2011

Learning to bake, for real. And a sandwich.

I'm not much of a baker.  I can handle cookies and cakes with no problems, but when it comes to yeast and kneading and real baking, I have no skill.  I have tried before, when I was younger.  All of the yeast rolls I made turned out hard, or they tasted weird, or something else just as bad.  I think I forgot this when I decided that i wanted to start out on the quest to remake everything that I love.

So, I have come to a conclusion.

I need to master the art of baking with real flour before I can move forward.  I need to learn about baking theory, and practice with methods that have been known to work for years.  I know that this isn't going to be gluten-free for a while, but it's something that seems necessary to do before I leap into trying to make gluten-free croissants again.

This week I made a braided sandwich.  For those of you out there that is wondering what this is, it's only the most delicious thing ever.  And of course I can't eat it lol.  But it was something to make to help me practice my kneading skills, something that I am completely lacking in.  That, and the boys loved it at poker night!


Braided Sandwiches
1/2lb ham
4 thick slices cheddar
Mustard
1 box Hot Roll mix

Mix up Hot Roll mix according to the package.  Knead for FOREVER.  Or about ten minutes.  Let rise about ten minutes, and cut in half.  Roll out the dough into a rectangle until about 1/2 inch thick.  Add half of your meat, cheese, and condiments to center of dough, leaving about two inches all around (all fillings can be changed according to what you want).  Cut the edges on the long sides of the dough about an inch in.  I usually do about 12 per side.  Fold up the short ends until they are touching and covering all the filling, then braid the cut ends together.  Repeat for the second half of the dough.  Bake according to the directions on the box, about 20 minutes.  Let cool for at least ten minutes so the cheese can settle, then cut and enjoy!


I really want to find a way to make this so that I can eat it, but I know that I need to take time.  Until then, I just have to keep experimenting and learning through trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment