Monday, January 24, 2011

Okonomiyaki!

I love food.  That goes without saying.  Specifically, I love Japanese food.  I studied Japanese for forever, I lived in Japan, I worked at a Japanese restaurant for years.  Japanese food is something I know well and can never seem to get enough of.  It makes me really sad that so much of what I like is wheat-based.  Knowing this, this week I tackled one of the best things about Japan - Okonomiyaki.  It means "as you like it", and I usually make mine with leftovers.  Specifically, leftover gyoza filling.  My gyoza filling is so good, and I always make too much, so the natural thing is to make something else delicious with it, right?  Luckily for all of us this is super easy to make!


Okonomiyaki!
2 cups GF flour
1 1/4 cup dashi water
4-6 eggs
1 cabbage
4 stalks chopped green onion
FILLINGS OF YOUR CHOICE
*meats
*vegetables
*eggs
*bacon
*seafood
*etcetcetc
Okonomiyaki sauce (or tonkatsu sauce)
Mayonnaise

Wisk together flour, dashi water, and eggs.  Add cabbage and green onions.  On preheated skillet, fry together your filling ingredients over a medium-low heat.  Cover with batter, and cook for about 5-7 minutes.  Flip (you might have to cut it in half with your spatula) and cook for another 5-7 minutes.  Take out of pan and cover with sauce and mayo.  Should make two large okonomiyaki, serving 4-6.


The one that I made this time had the mochi problem again - instead of being fluffy, it was a bit more dense and had a slight gummy texture.  Being a Japanese dish, it worked.  I was not at all let down by this, it tasted almost as good as it ever did.  I even had the leftovers for breakfast the next day, and they still tasted good warmed up in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment